As We Speak

Do you ever feel like you're saying exactly what you are thinking but no one is listening to what you're saying?

I would argue that just about every teenager on the face of the planet feels that way just about every second of the day. That being said, I am well out of my teen years and just beginning my trek into adulthood and the professional world, but still feel like this on a daily basis.

Between my job, my relationship, and my family, I seem to have a very hard time articulating my thoughts in a way that people will actually listen to. I think the main reason I have a hard time with this, despite my degree in Communication, is because I know going into it that people aren't going to listen the way I need them to.

I would consider myself a very high strung individual. Most of the people I know would say the same about me. I think too much, I get anxious, and I panic. This cycle repeats itself until I cry most weeks.
The people in my life unfortunately have to deal with this as much as I do.

It's hard being this person. I am very good at comforting. I am very good at helping talk things through, calm people down. I'm a good shoulder to cry on.  I give good, solid and ration advice. And the person I've turned into would never know that about myself.

I have a hard time letting people help me. I have a hard time believing that they even want to. I just have a hard time. I think it's starting to take a toll on my relationship, but if you asked my boyfriend he would say the opposite. I just have this feeling that eventually it's going to get old for him. Me getting anxious, me shutting down emotionally, me snapping or having a dramatic mood swing. He can handle all of that. The problem that we have encountered in my opinion is that I feel this way, and I feel bad, and he gets frustrated when I suggest things like he would ever get annoyed with me. So then I think I'm even more annoying, I shut down and get upset and we are back at square one. Meanwhile he thinks he's doing the right thing by assuring me that could never be the case- in reality, sometimes he makes me feel like an idiot for even having feeling in the first place.

He would be devastated if he ever knew I felt that way. Which is why I have a blog. Cause sometimes you just have to type out your frustrations while you half listen to him ramble on the phone about the summertime social he went to at work today.

Comments

Popular Posts